Wednesday, July 23, 2008

carousel of ideas

My brain never seems to stop. Spinning around the carousel of endless personal psycho babble and unfulfilled, out of reach dreams of wanting, wanting more money, a special relationship, more exciting/challenging job, different home, to redecorate, to build, create, write. All the time spinning around in my mind and in my gut. All of this has lead me to stop chasing this stuff, to stop and just be. I have to credit the Dalai Lama for getting me to see this in this way. He spoke of Americans being greedy - and we are. No wonder we are obsese and stressed out. We always want more. The real grace is to live with less. And it isn't just money or possessions that we are greedy for, it is for being happy - or at least numb by drugs. We are greedy for land, resources, ideas.

Now this is not to say that I/we shouldn't work toward things or try to acheive important goals. I think we need to work for things, but what I think is that we have gotten too far out of balance in that we want all the time, to the point where we don't know how to just be.

No comments: