Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tiger Lilies of Woosamansa Road

This is always one of my favorite roads to drive
Not only that but I love saying it too
Woosamansa
I love the word
Even if I don’t know the Native American meaning
Woosamansa Road
We call it an old cow path
As it twists and turning through the Jersey hills
Old farmsteads come and go on either side
Of the dapple June shaded road
Speckled with sunshine
There are sharp turns left then right
Then woosh around a corner
Down the hill
Next to a stone wall holding the hill at bay
And right next to you
Is a bank of tiger lilies
Waving burnt orange blossoms on the breeze
In front of a stone colonial house
I love driving this road
When I have the chance
Especially when I was young
for all its twists and turns
But also for it countryside historic beauty
The colonial houses
The white one-room schoolhouse
That switchback turn onto Poor Farm Road
Woosamansa Road finally runs
Out to the local highway
Away from the cool dappled
June shaded country
Leaving behind
Those brilliant orange tongues
Beautiful summer fire blossoms
Of the earth’s simple soulful beauty
And some evocative nostalgia
Of youth and summers past

No comments: