Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Finding the awe in the ordinary

Many find NYC awesome
To me it is ordinary
The place in which I live out my everyday life
Ordinary to me
Is what others find extraordinary
Riding packed subway trains at any hour in 24
Having little personal space
Adding my hustle and bustle
To eight million others who hustle and bustle
Walking on asphalt and concrete streets
Along towering canyons of glass and steel
Changing neighborhoods from block to block
Hearing the chattering sing song
Of more languages than I can count
The awe in this ordinary
Is the silence in all the magnitude
And the overlooked singularity
I can only hear it at a distance
While on the el line looking at the skyline
Knowing that behind all those windows
Sometimes noisy things are going on
But from the subway window I only see the buildings
Vast bee hives of activity that I can’t see or hear
Or to look over a sea of humanity
To pick on individual to follow their unique path
Though it has been trampled by millions
And so obscured or missed by only but a few
Believe me there is silence in this city
A place where only seeing past the obvious glittering facade
Through the barrier of glass or air
To where the seeming extraordinary is ordinary

No comments: