Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Running away from Christmas

I want to run away from Christmas
I think a lot of people do
I don’t want to write about Christmases past
I thought I did
Like Dylan Thomas’ “A Child’s Christmas in Wales”
To tell of happy memories from the past
But I can’t
Too much stuff goes into it
I can’t pull myself back far enough
Detach myself to see it’s blessings and glories
For the hurt I feel now
It is a major accomplishment if I can get through “the holidays”
Without a major emotional meltdown
It takes a lot of effort on my part
To limit what I do and how I feel
Christmas has not ever been especially joyous for me
They have always been very complicated and full of disappointment
Our consumer culture has sold us all a bunch of lies
The happiness can be bought –
There are most precious gifts that can be given that are not bought
But rather given to help others – out of kindness and generosity
Giving from the heart
It’s that what all the movies tell us?
Now, don’t get me wrong
I believe in this season of quiet waiting
This season of giving from the heart
I believe in being with loved ones, sharing time and good cheer
Helping other who may have less than me
To spend more in quiet of this season
I just think we spend too much time and energy
On the wrong things in this season
Instead of spending money we should open our hearts
There should be only 1 week of shopping for Christmas
If we have to have it at all
I would almost rather that Christmas and New Year’s
Were treated as any other ordinary day in the year
Yes, I still want to watch my favorite holiday movies
But I think I am going to flesh out my DVD holiday collection
So I can watch them when I want
And not have to watch all that shameless propaganda what we should buy
I think I will spend more time in quiet enjoying the dark of winter
I will not listen to all the news – I get enough to know what is going on in the world
I will spend time with friends – and find ways to give to those who are in need
I will do some traditional family baking
I will spread good cheer
At Yule time
And leave that Christian holiday to the Christians

No comments: